Wednesday, 3 April 2013
Until now, the only epoxy putty I've tried sculpting with was Milliput. It's a fine material with a multitude of uses, and it does cure really hard, but my modelling efforts with it have been frustrating, unrewarding, and frankly, terrible.
Recently though, I got some Green Stuff, to see what all the fuss is about. It's much, much easier to work with than Milliput, I find, though it cures a lot softer and can't really be sanded or drilled. I understand you can actually mix the two putties together, but I haven't tried that.
Anyway, I had a bit of Green Stuff left over after I finished the job I was doing, and thought I'd have one more go at sculpting something. This little guy is the result.
Now, Tom Meier, Werner Klocke and Sandra Garrity are clearly in no danger of being displaced by me any time soon, and there's nothing very startling about the fruits of my labours, but I'm really quite pleased with the way it turned out. It's not very big (that's a 16mm washer it's mounted on), but it does look pretty much like what I intended, which is a major improvement over previous efforts.
He's some sort of mole-man, emerging from under the grass. Annette thinks he looks creepy, so I've succeeded that far at least.
I doubt that I'll ever do much in the way of original figure modelling, but I'm encouraged enough to maybe try my hand at some reasonably extensive remodelling of other, more talented, people's work.